Fort Saskatchewan

Fort Saskatchewan 

Current population: 18,653

HISTORY:

The Fort Saskatchewan District entered history well over 200 years ago with its original industry of canoe building.  In the spring of 1875, the Northwest Mounted Police built the “Fort on the Saskatchewan”.  It was originally known as “Sturgeon Creek Post”, but the name was changed very shortly to “Fort Saskatchewan”. A community began to develop adjacent to the fort. Thus, the present City of Fort Saskatchewan traces its history back to this Northwest Mounted Police fort of 1875.

Fort Saskatchewan was incorporated as a Village in 1899, as a Town in 1904 and as a City in 1985.